Virginia Commonwealth University

Make it real.

Undergraduate Admissions

VCU Monroe Campus

Apply to VCU

Opportunities abound at VCU. But first you have to apply. You’ve come to the right spot to do just that.

Apply to VCU

How do you apply to Virginia Commonwealth University and how do you get in? Find out in this section, where you will learn what VCU looks for in its applicants. You also will find out about paying for college through scholarships and financial aid. Everything you need is in this section, from the all-important application deadlines to links to the online application form itself. And if you need any additional guidance, don’t hesitate to contact us.


If you’re ready to apply now, click on the category below that best describes you.

I am a degree-seeking freshman

Students who are currently enrolled in high school, or who have completed high school but never attended college, and are applying for admission as a degree-seeking student will be considered as freshmen applicants. High school students taking dual-enrollment college courses are also considered as freshmen. Degree-seeking students may study at the university as either a full-time student (12 credits or more per semester) or as a part-time student.

For information about when materials are due, please see our freshman application deadlines.

School of the Arts has additional requirements, so please see below for details.

I am a degree-seeking transfer student

Transfer applicants are those who are attending (or have attended) college on a full- or part-time basis after graduating from high school.

Transfers with 30 or more credits: Applicants with more than 30 college credits are required to provide us with their official college transcript in addition to all required application materials. SAT/ACT scores are not required.

Transfers with fewer than 30 credits: Applicants with fewer than 30 college credits are eligible to apply as transfer students. These applicants are required to provide us with both official high school and college transcripts. Applicants with fewer than 30 credit hours, and who are under the age of 22, are required to submit SAT/ACT scores for consideration in addition to all other required application materials.

For information about when materials are due, please see our transfer student application deadlines.

School of the Arts has additional requirements, so please see below for details.

I am an applicant to the undergraduate health sciences programs on the MCV Campus

Transfer students and current VCU students who wish to apply to undergraduate programs in clinical laboratory sciences, clinical radiation sciences, dental hygiene and nursing on the MCV Campus should be aware that courses and credit requirements for admission vary for each program. Applicants to any of these programs must submit supplemental admission materials, all of which are available online. Please carefully read and follow all instructions outlined on each department's admission information page:

  • Clinical Laboratory Sciences
    Fall applications for entry-level and degree completion programs are accepted beginning October 1.

    Spring applications are limited to applicants who are certified Medical Laboratory Technicians. Please contact the department by calling (804) 828-9469 before applying.
  • Clinical Radiation Sciences
    Fall applications for traditional entry-level, degree completion, and second modality programs are accepted beginning October 1.

    Spring applications are limited to applicants who are certified radiologic technologists and radiation therapists. Please contact the department of Radiation Sciences by calling (804) 828-9104 before applying.
  • Dental Hygiene
  • School of Nursing

I am a nondegree-seeking student

Students who meet the requirements for undergraduate eligibility may enroll for credit as nondegree-seeking students. This status does not require an application for admission through the Office of Admissions, but registration is required through Records and Registration. Enrollment as a nondegree student does not ensure later admission as a degree-seeking student. Continuance in this status is dependent on academic performance.

Nondegree-seeking student classification

  • Nondegree holder: A student who has not previously earned a baccalaureate degree and is limited to taking a maximum of 11 credits per semester.
  • Degree holder: A student who has earned a baccalaureate degree at VCU or another accredited institution and is limited to taking 19 credits per semester.
  • Transient student: This student is presently seeking a baccalaureate degree at another institution of higher education and wishes to enroll in courses at VCU for no more than two semesters with the intent of transferring course work to the home institution for degree completion. The student must present a letter from the home institution approving the student’s status as a transient student at VCU.

How to enroll and register as a nondegree-seeking student

Visiting students who meet the requirements established by the VCU Bulletin may register as special students during the fall, spring and summer sessions.

Visiting students who are presently seeking a baccalaureate degree at another institution of higher education may register as transient students at VCU by meeting the following criteria:

  • Transient students must be in good standing at their home institutions.
  • Transient students may register for most courses, including upper-division business courses, with approval of their home institution and the appropriate VCU office.

If this is your initial registration at VCU, you will need to register in person at the Student Services Center on the first floor of Grace E. Harris Hall, 1015 Floyd Ave. Following that initial registration, most scheduling changes can be made online.

Bring a picture ID and the following forms for your visit:

I am an interdisciplinary studies applicant

Applicants must also complete a supplemental application. For more information about the Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies degree, call (804) 827-8648.

I am a returning student

VCU students are deemed returning applicants and must reapply for admission and submit an application fee if they have:

  • Not attended VCU in a degree program for three or more successive fall and spring semesters (excluding summer sessions)
  • Been suspended from VCU
  • Attended another college or university since attending VCU and wish to return after the allowable absence period as stated in No. 1 above

All applicants are required to complete the Application for Undergraduate Admission. Read all application requirements carefully. Applications will be reviewed when all required materials have been received by the Office of Admissions.

I am a permanent resident

Applicants who are not U.S. citizens but are authorized to live and work in the U.S. on a permanent basis are able to apply for admission to VCU as degree-seeking freshmen or transfer students. In addition to providing all required application materials, permanent residents must meet English language proficiency by meeting at least one of the following criteria:

  • Native language is English
  • Reside in the U.S. for 10 or more years
  • Score at least 400 on the critical reading portion of the SAT
  • Complete six semester hours of college-level English with the grade of C or better (excluding ESL classes)
  • Present a TOEFL score of 80 or more on the Internet-based test

For information about when materials are due, please see our freshman application deadlines.

For information about when materials are due, please see our transfer student application deadlines.

I am an international student

International students are those who have travelled abroad to the U.S. for the purpose of studying in school and are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents. In addition to presenting grades (marks) that reflect superior ability and serious effort, international applicants must demonstrate satisfactory academic achievement, adequate English language proficiency and the ability to finance their education.

I am a post-baccalaureate certificate student

Students who hold a bachelor’s degree and wish to continue their education by completing a certificate program are classified as post-baccalaureate certificate applicants.

The Office of Admissions processes applications for the post-baccalaureate programs in computer science, statistics, accounting, information systems, Spanish/English translation and interpretation, health sciences and human resource management only. Students who wish to apply for admission consideration into post-baccalaureate programs other than these should visit the website of the school or department in which the program is housed.

School of the Arts applicants

In addition to the university Application for Undergraduate Admission, all applicants to the School of the Arts must submit supplemental materials as described at The School of the Arts application review committee reviews all applications to programs in the School of the Arts.

For additional information, including program deadlines, visit You may also contact the School of the Arts by email at, or by phone at (804) 828-2787 or our toll-free number, (866) 534-3201.

Honors/Guaranteed Admission applicants

A separate application, which is available online, is required for admission into both The Honors College and the Guaranteed Admission program. For more information, call (804) 828-1803, email or visit

Applicants with disabilities

VCU is committed to providing students with disabilities equal opportunities to benefit from all programs, services and activities offered. Students with disabilities are responsible for self-identification prior to requesting services and may do so at any time by presenting the appropriate documentation to the Disability Support Services coordinator. For more information, call Disability Support Services at (804) 828-2253 or visit

Why we ask for your Social Security number

Students on campus

While VCU does not require your Social Security number for admission consideration, it is necessary for applicants who wish to be considered for financial aid and Hope Scholarship/Lifetime Learning tax credit to provide a Social Security number to the university. To protect your privacy, your Social Security number will not be used as your VCU student identification number.

Security and fire safety report

Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to assisting all members of the community in providing for their own safety and security. The current annual security and fire safety report is available on the VCU website here PDF.

If you would like to receive a hard copy of the report, you can stop by the VCU Police Department at 224 E. Broad Street. or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling (804) 828-6334.

The report contains information regarding campus security, personal safety, and fire and crime statistics related to our university community.

Visit the campus


Students on campus


meet our counselors


Programs of study

VCU in Pictures

Maps and directions

meet Matt

Get on the mailing list

Open House Fall 2014

En español

Students on campus


Freshman applicants

International applicants

Transfer applicants